Applications are now open for this year’s Graduate Apprentice run by Birmingham Future.
This is the hottest apprenticeship in Birmingham. Offering a unique 12 month opportunity where a graduate will rotate through three 16 week paid placements within three diverse professional and financial services organisations. They will also take on the role of being an ambassador for young professionals in Birmingham.
In 2011, Joshua Bennetto a Business Management graduate from the University of Manchester won the role. He commented, “If you think being the Graduate Apprentice is just about gaining work experience – think again!
Within the first 6 months of the scheme I have run the Birmingham Half Marathon, provided career advice for college students, spent a weekend in Germany watching German Football, helped stroke victims use the internet and played the lead role of Cinderella in Deloitte’s Christmas production.
The Graduate Apprentice opens many doors for the individual to experience situations that they would never normally encounter. This is why the scheme is invaluable as it pushes your personal development and improves your CV far more than any other run of the mill job. The reputation and name of the scheme also places a lot of responsibility on the individual. Not only are you representing Birmingham Future, but also the many thousands of graduates within the City of Birmingham.
The ability to network and make a lasting impression is key – through working at three different companies and being a member of Birmingham Future you are meeting different people and social groups all of the time. Your social calendar will inevitably become a lot busier – last year I went to three Christmas parties with Deloitte, Birmingham Future and Glide (who I hadn’t even started working for yet!). The individual needs to possess a diverse range of skills in order to adapt to this continuous change both inside and outside of the workplace.”
The Graduate Apprentice scheme is an unrivalled learning and career development opportunity for a recent graduate.
Over the course of the year the selected winning candidate will get the opportunity to:
• Earn a competitive salary of £18,000 pro-rata
• Experience three 16 week placements at Blusource, Brewin Dolphin & Glide Utilities
• Learn about the Professional and Business Services sector
• Enjoy the vibrant city lifestyle that Birmingham offers
• Meet and network with the city’s young professionals
• Benefit from a year’s complimentary membership to Birmingham Future
• Attend ‘successful development’ seminars
• Attend the prestigious Birmingham Young Professional of the Year awards dinner
• Receive guidance and support of a mentor through Birmingham Future’s mentoring scheme
• Gain vital experience to enhance their CV and improve their job opportunities
Complete an application form by answering a series of questions about why you believe you should be the next Graduate Apprentice. A shortlist of candidates will then be invited to an interview and assessment day. You can find the application form here.
The 2012 Graduate Apprentice will be selected by a panel of representatives from the companies offering the placements. The selected graduate will start their first placement in September 2012.
Closing date for applications is Monday, 30th April 2012.
To apply to the Graduate Apprentice programme, you must have achieved, or be on course to achieve at least a 2.1 degree, in any discipline from any University. If you have completed your degree abroad, you must have the legal right to work in the UK, and have achieved an equivalent 2.1 degree.
We accept applications from any individuals who have achieved their degree in the last two years (i.e. since January 2010). You must be able to demonstrate the following skills:
• Can solve problems quickly and effectively
• Can communicate articulately on all levels. In each placement you will be client facing, and so are required to communicate complex information to client audiences (both verbal and written)
• A strong ability to effectively plan, manage and organise your work
• Excellent research and analytical skills
• Attention to detail
• Can work well within a team
• Can work flexibly and able to use initiative
• Ability to think outside the box
• Enthusiastic and passionate